Environmental Medicine

Environmental Medicine -
Heavy Metal Burden: Mercury

Mercury is a potent neurotoxin that should be removed from the body if found in excessive levels. Critical target organs for mercury include the brain, kidneys, liver, and muscles. Exposure to mercury can occur in utero or from environmental sources. Environmental sources of mercury include the following:

  • Dental Amalgam Fillings
  • Wildfires/Forest Fires
  • Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs
  • Thimersol in Vaccines
  • Coal Combustion
  • High Fructose Corn Syrup
  • Consumption of Predatory Fish
  • Skin Lightening Creams

Potential symptoms of an excessive total body load of mercury are general: malaise, headache, weakness, mild or moderate hypertension, tinnitus, and mood disorders. Some of the more common symptoms of elevated mercury in the system include:

  • Metallic Taste in the Mouth
  • Fatigue
  • Hair Loss
  • Thinking Difficulties
  • Irritability
  • Depression
  • Sleep Disturbance
  • Memory Loss
  • Muscle Aches
  • Headaches
  • Tremors
  • Anorexia
  • Gingivitis

Patients may have renal or neurologic involvement from mercury and be asymptomatic. Mercury is also a known carcinogen and is capable of inducing any malignancy known to the body.

« Back to: Intro to Heavy Metal Burden

(↑ Back to Top)